I had some problems with deploying. After some frustration, I saw that the application.yml file was not being included. There was no sym link and there was no actual file in the shared folder on the server. I ssh’ed into the server, but didn’t have much luck. At the end, I simply used an FTP uploader to create the application.yml file and cut and pasted the content. It worked, but I didn’t feel great about the solution.
Previously we required users to give us read/write access to both there public and private repos. That isn’t really necessary. Changing the scope permissions in outlined here.
I changed the permissions and saw that I need to restart the server for those changes to take effect locally. I assume the same is necessary on the server.